To provide a safe, caring atmosphere where relaxation can be learned and experienced – using soft music, guided imagery, and gentle touch.
Our Relaxation sessions are facilitated by trained volunteers, knowledgeable in the areas of:
- Relaxation techniques
- Hospice Care
- Grief support
- Emotional stress due to life-threatening illness
- Emotional stress due to caring for a loved one that is dying
- The benefits of relaxation and quality of life
Relaxation sessions are available to,
- Palliative clients in their home and at the hospital, hospice residence, care facility at our Centre;
- Family and friends that are caregivers to their dying loved one;
- Volunteers that companion palliative clients and their loved ones;
- Volunteers that companion grieving clients;
- Participants in any one of our grief support groups, including children and youth.
- Grief depresses the immune system, leave one vulnerable to illness.
- Relaxation techniques have proven to be effective in boosting the immune system.
- Grieving people often suffer with insomnia. Relaxation can develop the capacity to fall asleep or to relax enough to allow sleep to come.
- Relaxation provides a natural way to harness the grieving person’s healing abilities.
- How we feel physically can be influenced by the mind. When we relax our heart rate, metabolism, oxygen consumption and respiration slow down. Blood pressure and muscle tension are lowered.
- Relaxation can stimulate the release of endorphins and stimulate the immune system.
- Relaxation may increase feelings of calm and comfort.